Thursday, September 1, 2011

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Lamport






These are my first foray into the bespoke world of footwear, and I'm eager to try even more.  Bespoke (or custom made clothing or footwear) scares a lot of people and usually has a monetary barrier, but hopefully as men continue to become educated and take pride in their appearance, this market/segment of the industry will continue to grow.  Quality and options are the first thing that pop into my head when I hear "bespoke".  Options like materials, shape, and even how you want to craft your suit or footwear make everything custom and one-of-a-kind. Then knowing that a human made and took pride in crafting the item justifies the (usually) above standard cost of a pair of shoes or tailored suit.  As I continue to grow in my career, critique my personal style, and learn more about the things I love, I feel almost obligated to try and learn everything about what goes into crafting these amazing garments and footwear.  Of course I'll take you along and share what I learn.

Thanks to Chay, and Alfred Sargent for making my thoughts a reality.

4 comments:

Brett said...

Keep those away from the red wine.

The Lyle said...

Those are nice shoes. Sleeker than usual for this site. Wouldn't it be, however, more proper to call them made-to-order rather than bespoke in order to distinguish from the highest level of custom (i.e., custom last > custom design > hand-made heavy construction) for which the b word is usually reserved? Just a thought.

Ryan E. Plett said...

Lyle- although these did not recieve the custom last production (which my future shoes will) these were developed by myself, materials chosen, and fitted to a sketch outline of my feet. So as far as the category of shoes, I consider them as close to bespoke as you can get. But yes, techinically speaking I guess they are not 100% bespoke. I'll let you know what future ones entail. Thanks for reading.

AMK said...

incredibly cool.